Friday, May 13, 2005

FEBRUARY 2007/INTERVIEW/OSUNLADE


Osunlade is one of the most creative individuals in contemporary dance music having worked with such diverse artists as 4Hero, Musiq Soulchild and Patti LaBelle. Originally from the states and having also sampled life in Puerto Rico, the maverick producer decided to re-locate to the beautiful Greek island of Santorini where he is now based. Black Athena caught up with him to find out more.


We understand that you are currently based out in Santorini - what inspired that move? Did the volcanic landscape influence your decision?

Nothing specifically inspired the move. It was natural, I’m not moved only by the landscape, the energy itself of the island is what mainly captured me, however it wasn’t one thing or anything in particular that inspired the move; just the moment in my life and the universe allowing it to happen.


How difficult is it nowadays for a producer to remain informed and have a feel for things, while based in a remote location such as a Greek island?

Things are the same everywhere now with technology so I’m just as informed as I ever was, nothing has changed in that sense. On the other hand personally I like to stay out of what’s going on with the rest of the world. It keeps my own world clean and within itself.


Your long standing love affair with Prince's productions is well documented, if you were given an opportunity to collaborate with him would you jump at the chance?

Under mutual and honest terms, yes. I was a fan of his music, and have worked for him in the past, however the demise of his reign is due to his ego and lack of truth surrounding him. His music has definitely suffered because of this. I’d have to come eye to eye, man to man and leave all things non productive at the door before I could join him in any creative aspect. Nonetheless, it would be a great honour to see the outcome given the chance.


You're credited with producing a number of R&B records in your time. What is your view on the renaissance of the neo-soul movement and some of the more recent talents to appear on the scene such as Georgia Anne Muldrow and Aloe Blacc?

I love what they do, but I don’t think the focus musically is on what they do. R&B is simply hip-hop now and a lot of that music is very bad these days, totally commercial and bastardised. I’m not sure if the types of artists mentioned will ever see the acknowledgment they truly deserve.


You’ve said in the past that you favour an organic dynamic in your music, however recently there seems to be a return to the trend favouring a more synthetic approach in underground electronica and dance. What are your thoughts on this?

It’s a natural evolution. House music itself has taken a turn to the past. The days of sweet afro or soulful, dreamy songs are quite boring, at least for me, our vibrations are moving faster due to all the technological things going on, so we all think differently. Our brains react differently, and the more synthetic gear is just a much more interesting palette. I still take the same approach to my music though, it’s all organic as it comes from within, no matter the sound or outcome.


‘Sokin Sikartep' is one of the standout tracks from your latest LP 'Aquarian Moon', coming across as an expansive workout reminiscent of Carl Craig with a splash of Vangelis. Can you tell us a little bit about this track?

There’s not much to say about it except it was the only true house song on the album. I just had that late 80s early 90s era in mind, nothing more.


The late 90s saw a turn in your life and your musical direction. From an in-house producer for major labels you decided to follow your own path by setting up your own label. Is music as purely a commercial commodity a factor that smothers and inhibits musical growth?

Definitely!


It has been widely documented that you are an ordained priest of the African religion Ifa. How does this ancestral culture inform the essence of your music?

It is one with my life. People ask this question because the thought of religion for most is an act. You live your life, then you pray to God when you need to repent or feel bad for some action you’ve done. Ifa is not a religion (at least to me) it is a culture. How your life is lived, it is one and the same. So musically it’s not a separate entity it all comes from my life’s experiences. Music is meant to document one’s life. This is what I’m doing, nothing more. My faith and/or religion aren’t something outside of my existence.


Which new producers and artists do you rate at the moment? Is there anyone coming through that you predict really big things for?

I don’t predict anything. There are many artists doing great things now. I only hope to see more producers and artists push the boundaries of growth.