Sunday, May 01, 2005

MAY 2006/INTERVIEW/JIHAD MUHAMMAD


This month Black Athena fast forward to the present and offer you an interview with one of the most exciting house producers of our time, Jihad Muhammad. We caught up with Jihad in New Jersey and chatted about his peers Tony Humphries, Blaze and Kerri Chandler, as well as his favourite clubs from back in the day when he was a dancer.


You were born and raised in New Jersey. How instrumental was the ‘Zanzibar’ and legendary DJ Tony Humphries in the development of your sound?

The Zanzibar was a place where I went to dance and to check out Tony Humphries’ mixing skills. I was very used to hearing him on the radio when I was younger but going to hear him live was a totally different experience - the way he mixed was smooth, his timing was great and I also enjoyed hearing new songs that I’d never heard before. He was very consistent in breaking new artists.


You were a dancer before you began DJing and producing. What clubs did you go to? Can you recall the atmosphere of your favorite club at the time. Are there any stories you would like to share with us from those times, funny, inspiring or both?

I used to go to Cheetah's in Patterson, New Jersey, the Zanzibar, Club Sensations and most of the local clubs here in Jersey. I went to the Garage twice, checked out The Choice in NYC, Afterlife, Sound Factory Bar, Red Zone...there was so many clubs. The atmosphere I liked best were between 3 clubs...The Choice, Garage and the Zanz. I liked them because they were true underground clubs where there was no styling and profiling but all about the music and dancing. I danced a bit better then than I do now so it was a fun experience for me.


Do you play any disco when you play out? Which is the classic that you currently most like to air. How do you see the renewed interest in disco music, particularly in Europe?

Yes I still play classics. I think every dj should still play them as it shows versatility in your djing skills - just my opinion. I know a lot of djs who don't like to play classics mainly because some think they have heard them all but there are so many we haven't heard. But playing classics for a crowd brings them to a place they used to be, a lot of folks remember the good times when you play some oldies. I like to play Change "Paradise " that’s a favorite of mine, some George Benson, Candi Staton, Lenny Williams and others. I don't know how the disco scene is in Europe or if there is a renewed interest. I say just play good music, be it old or new.


With artists such as Blaze, Eric Roberson, yourself and others, New Jersey seems to be a centre for soulful underground music. How do you explain that?

New Jersey has always been a centre for underground music, it’s just that now we have a lot of new producers coming on the scene making good names for themselves. We have had our pioneers to learn from: Blaze, Kerri, Ace Mungin of Ace Beat, Nick Jones, Camacho, Smack Music, Abigail Adams and many others. They have paved the way for us to come into this game and learn, they were the ones I respected because it was all about business with them, they were the ones who truly established the Jersey scene.


How was it working closely with a legend such as Kevin Hedge of Blaze?

Man it's always a blessing to be amongst one of the giants in this business. In this business you have to watch and learn and Kevin always allowed me to come in his space to watch him work. He also let me do some mixes on a few things he worked, gave me pointers on how to make my music sound better and signed my first record "Movement Blues ". I have taken what he has taught me and applied it to my own production style and I still have to call him from time to time to ask questions about how to do things as I’m still in the learning process. That’s my main man!


In a recent interview with Danny Rampling, the interviewer made the observation that there aren’t many people under-24 that like house music these days. He also pointed out that house music is more feminine and therefore in contrast to our masculine oriented society, that prefers to embrace Hip Hop, do you agree with this point? Do you think that’s more true in the States, or in Europe?

Like I said I really don't know the European scene but here in Jersey it's a little mixed depending on where you go. I think that if you want to bring young folks into the scene you have to first expose yourself to where the young folks are. I’m not saying that they will all be open to the house culture but I don't think that it's impossible. As a matter of fact in most bars that play house music here you see more younger folks there then you see at an underground function that doesn't serve liquor. And I think the djs should learn how to connect with the younger heads instead of trying to be so "deep" with the music. To have some commercial edge is very beneficial, that’s why I’m kinda glad that I have played in bars and clubs. I felt like I had more of an edge as a dj with connections not only just to the underground heads but with the folks who may prefer the bar scene.


Jihad Muhammad “The Dawn” has been on my play list for some time now; tell us about how this track came about? I’m aware that you do not play any instruments, so who is it that we can hear playing the piano?

I always wanted to do another piano track after I did " Movement Blues". "The Dawn" has more of a soft edge but it's energetic as well. I hooked up with a great pianist by the name of Vincent Jeffries who does all of my keyboard work.


From the style of your productions I am certain that you must be loved in Japan. Which clubs have you played out there?

I hope I’m loved out there...ha! I do love playing in Japan they really love the music out there. I always have fun when I go there. The clubs that I’ve played have been Game , Simoon, Club Air, all in Tokyo. I played at Bassment in Asahikawa, Chikos in Gunma, I forget the names of the clubs in Hiroshima but I know I had a good time there as well.


Tell us a bit about Club Movement, how did that begin is it still going?

Club Movement was something that me and some friends started in September 2001. It ended in 2002 and since then I haven't done any Club Movement functions. What I have done is started a digital label called Movementsoul Recordings that is on Traxsource. Currently I have 3 tracks up and I’m currently working on the next jam, which will feature singer Chris Dockins, so be on the lookout for that.


Which up and coming musician or producer would you tip on becoming big in 2006?

I have recently heard some of DJ Fudge's work, he's dope. Stacey Mallory is doing some great things. Fuzion, Fanatix, Mr.V, Alix Alvarez...they are all doing superb work so I hope that they all continue to have the blessings that they have had in 2005.