Wednesday, May 18, 2005

MAY 2008/INTERVIEW/TRUS'ME

You’ve been working on a follow up to Working Nights recently; do you feel under a lot of pressure to better it considering your debut received such a rapturous reception?

Pressure is good - it helps you to keep the bar high in your production and thought process. It's nice that the first LP was received so well by everyone but you're always putting a little of yourself out there for criticism - I'm prepared for whatever happens.


Your 2nd album includes collaborations with Detroit heavyweights such as Amp Fiddler, Paul Randolph, & Piranhahead. How has it been working with them and what should we expect from the album?

The next LP is to highlight a deeper level of my production in collaborating with the artists that you mention. It's a more enjoyable experience to work with fellow musicians - it's how music should be made; it's a communal experience, the more minds the better. It's also a way to grow, learn and develop as a producer. You've got to push yourself as far as possible on each project otherwise you become stagnant.


You’ve been commissioned to do a series of remixes for artists that include LCD Soundsystem and Quasimode amongst others as well as a release for Third Ear. Which has been your favourite to work on?

The remix is a whole new ball game; you can only take the track so far as the base is already there so it's kinda like working around a sample of music and giving your own take on it. It's a longer process and less natural to me right now, but at the same time it's enjoyable to see how fellow producers develop their tracks - it's an educational experience. I have to say, the LCD remix was the most fun as there was much more to work with.


How did you hook up with the Linkwood Family and Reggie Dokes for the first Prime Numbers release?

Linkwood & the Firecracker label have the same mentality as everyone at Prime Numbers - my own imprint - so the collaboration was inevitable. We have a forthcoming LP with Linkwood in 2008 that we are very excited about. I have been a fan of Reggie Dokes from day one, It's just great how minimal he can be whilst still having this full sound, he also has a forthcoming LP on Prime Numbers in 2008 - so watch out, we've got some killer stuff ready for your DJ box!


Manchester’s love affair with Detroit has been well documented over the years and in another interview when asked yourself you’ve put it purely down to the good taste of the locals, but do you think other parallels exist – for example the uniquely similar impact on the music scene the two places have had in their respective countries, or the concept of dance music as a background to work (Theo Parrish has spoken of using factory sound samples for example) or even the simple case of being exposed to a lot of good music from a very young age?

I'm not sure it's anything but the choice of good music; Manchester's youth are exposed to club nights such as Eyes Down and Electric Chair - there's a great music scene. You know, not everyone in Manchester is into what I call good music; it's a city that seems to have a wide taste though, my friends are into music scenes I just don't even know about but they highlight the best bits to me, whether it be dub step or some folk track - that's why you will hear eclectic tastes in my mixes. You only have to come and take a walk down Oldham Street in Manchester and see the 11 record shops all in a row selling old and new vinyl from all genres to understand why music is so important to the city.


You launched your debut album at the tail end of last year with an extremely intimate party that featured yourself and Moodymann on the decks – what was it like playing alongside Kenny Dixon in such an up close and personal setting?

We had fun and the guests had a great time, you literally could just go up and shake hands with Kenny, it was like Kenny down the pub, ha ha. It felt right; Kenny was in town and wanted to play. He's a fan of my work and it just seemed natural to have him there on the day.


How much do you think independent labels, producers and promoters rely on there being a scene to attach themselves to? Or is the notion of a scene just a practical tag for journalists and marketing people to use?

I don't really feel there is any scene for what I'm about right now; people want to put me into this pigeon hole of Theo and Kenny. My taste is much wider than this, I have a love of all music and when I'm asked to play a freestyle gig this is where I feel most comfortable - the reason I'm really looking forward to playing in Athens!


You’ve mentioned in the past that you’re first and foremost a DJ, what’s the approach you take on your DJ sets? How difficult is it playing alongside heavyweight names, do you ever catch yourself thinking what to put on next?

I approach a set with the attitude that I have to throw in as many styles and genres as possible in the time I have! It's not important who is before or who is after, you have to be yourself and do your thing. When I say I'm a DJ first, it's to highlight that I love music foremost. My own style of production is to help me bridge the gaps between the many styles and tempos that I love. Essentially, I produce DJ tools but I try to make them pieces of music in their own right.


On the 17th of May you’ll be playing here in Athens for Black Athena's 3rd Birthday party, what should people expect? Where else have you played out over the last year that you’ve particularly enjoyed?

Wow - I have enjoyed everywhere this year - a warm welcome at each and every venue. I'm told Athens' party crowd is open and expecting which is just the way I like it. Expect Reggae, Soul, Disco, 4x4, Techno, Afro, Hip Hop, Latin and of course Soul music...


You’ve mentioned that you don’t buy new records that much, what are the latest old records you’ve been into?

It's not that I'm not into new records, it's just I wait for a track to sink in - to ensure it's a winner and something that I want to listen to in ten years time. I don't see the point in playing upfront stuff unless it's my own.
On the digging tip, really feeling J.D Hall - I wanna get into you 12", Eddy Grant - Nobody got time 7'' and Midnight Express- Danger zone 7"


And something obvious but we have to ask – first record you ever bought? And first one you chopped up?

My first ever record was My Girl Lollipop and the first track I messed with was a Gypsy Kings track ha ha. I love the Gypsy Kings - reminds me of growing up and chilling with my girlfriend!